Koude winters.

thomas
STN Deutschland

Re: Koude winters.

Bericht#11 » 13 okt 2016, 09:10

It had -18°C in the morning, but I was warm until I finally started my Piaggio Quartz 50 with the kickstarter. E-Start didn't not work anymore. 60km into office, usually 1:25-1:30 h:min. The roads were almost free of snow and I needed only 1:40. Although I was dressed as fat as possible and had no locally frostbite, I was totally chilled and that lasted until noon.
On the way home it was warmer and easier, thermometer at home showed only -15°C on arrival.
Personal record -27°C (with the bicycle to school, forget the diesel powered school bus).
German record -45.9°C (Funtensee meteomedia weather station 24.12.2001).
Petrol freezes at -45°C, Ethanol at -114°C. Clear advantage for Ethanol fuel!
0 x
Afbeelding

Jan-H
STN Verkeersveiligheid

Bericht#12 » 13 okt 2016, 13:01

Hi Thomas,
The fact of being chilled for several hours I experienced myself in a trip from Rotterdam to Mühlheim a/d Ruhr in late autumm 1963. I don't remember the exact temerature, but it was freezing cold.
I made the trip with my Zündapp Bella 150 ccm. to a visit to my elder brother and his wife, who had both a job in Germany at the time.
In a Pub at Moers I made a stop to eat and to get warm again, but I was allready very cold and did not feel so well.
The landlord told me to put a pack of newspapers under my Parka and so I did.
When arriving there, I was unable to get of my scooter and he had to raise me of the machine and up to a few stairs to get me in to the house en right into the bathtub to get my mobility back.
So everybody has his of her story about riding in wintertime ont a scooter or motorcycle.
Thanks for your contribution on the STN forum.

Tschüß,
Jan.

Afbeelding
Me and my Bella in summertime 1963.
1 x
Jan-H
Na 56 jaar weer op een motorscooter!

Dagrecord 545 km. Maassluis- Ludwigshafen am Rhein.
Afbeelding

thomas
STN Deutschland

Bericht#13 » 17 okt 2016, 16:29

Jan-H schreef:Oh, please send us some pictures from your city (Ludwigshafen?) and his surroundings?
Boring chemical/industrial city. Frequent detonations and fires. (There's a street called "Trichterstrasse" - funnel street - for a reason!)
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/explo ... 41911.html
1 x
Afbeelding

joopstern

Bericht#14 » 17 okt 2016, 16:34

doe mij dit maar
Afbeelding
0 x

Jan-H
STN Verkeersveiligheid

Bericht#15 » 18 okt 2016, 15:38

We also live in an industrial region Thomas.
Yes, the terrible accidant at BASF is catastrophic for the the families involved and not a pleasant for the city at all.
But there must be other parts of the town that may be interesting for us in Holland.
Give it another try when this is over.
Below some pic's of our little city of Maassluis (33.000 inhabitants).
Greetings,
Jan.

Afbeelding
Steamtug Furie 1906.
Afbeelding
Binnenhafen and sand transshipment.
Afbeelding
A look from our loftwindow.
Afbeelding
The countryside is nearby.
0 x
Jan-H
Na 56 jaar weer op een motorscooter!

Dagrecord 545 km. Maassluis- Ludwigshafen am Rhein.
Afbeelding

Social Media

Terug naar “Uyt Den Ouden Doosch”